About Us


Monday, November 12, 2012

Book Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones
(The Mortal Instruments, Bk #1)
By Cassandra Clare

Narrator: Ari Graynor

Synopsis: 

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Available for purchase at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Viviana's Review: 
A few of my fellow bookaholic friends read YA and this series’ name has come up more than a handful of times. Most recently it came up due to the fact that is being made into a movie expected to be released next summer (2013). The hype surrounding the movie continues to escalate as the cast has been selected and now fans await a movie trailer to be showed. 
Back to the book, I ‘listened’ to this book as there are not enough hours in the day to be able to read all the books I want to read. Thankfully the day job is one where I can work and feed my book addiction with audio books. 

I was surprised as to how much I actually liked the story/book. The author did a phenomenal job creating a world different from ours but providing enough details/information for us to believe it could actually exist. However, where she excelled in that world building is that she didn't lose the audience nor did the character fall to the back burner. 

Speaking of characters, we have our main heroes and heroines. Yes they are plural as there are more than one and I think they each are heroes/heroines within their own rights. Though in the literally world I’m sure the others would be considered more of the “beta” hero/heroine. 

I love Jace! I do! It’s a shame he’s a minor! He’s a smart ass, sarcastic, born bad-ass and hot! This is where I remind myself that he is a minor (again). Jace keeps things entertaining and the momentum moving forward. He hides his emotions and protects his true self from others due to the losses he has endured. What is it about guys like that that make smart, independent, strong woman (like myself) turn to mush and just want to make things aright fro them? Well, maybe because he’s hot (darn it – MINOR). 

Clary has been thrown into a world she knows nothing about and must rely on complete strangers to keep her alive. Then the truth begins to unravel and we join Clary in the discovery of who she really is. 

The tension between these two is undeniable. They have chemistry. She has it bad for him and for the first time in his life, he has feeling for someone like never before. Remember, this is a series and though they may end up together, they are not together in this book. And talk about obstacles. Of all the reasons one would be able to come up with as to why these two should not be together, the author comes up with a doozie. 

Enter our Beta Hero and of course, being that this is a YA, here’s the love triangle.  Ah Simon! The doting, always there for you BFF! It’s obvious from the start so I’m not spoiling anything for you. He also provides some of the humor and sarcasms!  We empathize with Simon for I’m sure we have been in his shoes before in our past. 

Aleck and Isabel are also beta heroes/heroines in my eyes! They are siblings whose family adopt Jace at a very young age. They each bring balance to Jace and Clary. Alec is the voice of reason while Isabel is the fearless, independent “Let’s do this” girl. 

Each of the characters have their strengths and their insecurities. They are still trying to define themselves and see where they fit into the world. Classic young adult stuff, right? Well, now add that they are Shadow Hunters and fight demons. Up the antes just a tad. 

There are only one or two times throughout the story where I thought “Jeez such teenage angst” and then “Duh” I remind myself that it’s a YA silly hahaha. Like I said this only happened once or twice. So I totally get why my “adult” friends enjoy reading this YA. It’s about the story. The age of the characters isn't a major factor. In fact, you at times forget that they are teenagers. I love it when an author makes you forget about those types of details, when they create a world where you can “implant” yourself as part of the story. Though I will say I miss the limitless energy I had when I was 18 and 19 yrs old. 

The villains are bad! Evil as they should be! They are also shrouded in secrecy that you discover little by little as you read. The powers they will, the plans they have and their reasons are not just plopped in front of you. I do enjoy it when an author shares information but doesn't paint the whole picture for you. 

Some of the reviews I've read have mentioned the absence of parents/adult guardians. Making it seem like the kids are on their own and running a mock. This actually isn't the case. Keep in mind who is telling the story. They are! So their world revolves around them and what’s going on in their immediate circle and at that moment.  My mom was always ( and I do mean ALWAYS) around but if I were to tell you something back then, I’d leave her out of my story. The adults are there and are involved in the teenagers’ lives. 

I loved “City of Bones” and immediately uploaded the second book onto my iPod. Devour both books. I have the 3rd one now waiting for me. But I’m being a good girl and getting reviews up  and posted before getting to far into the series. 


Rating: 4.5 Stars - Really Loved It! 

No comments:

Post a Comment